My earliest experience of becoming literate goes back to me learning how to pray in Portuguese because my babysitter was from Brazil and I would spend most of my days and time with my babysitter. Although my parents speak Spanish, Portuguese seemed to be the language I felt more attached to. Since I was a kid I learned how important language was and how it flowed in dialogue and I thank my parents who taught me how to express myself as such. I tried my best to speak both English and Spanish but found it was so difficult as I didn't like to read because it would put me to sleep and I couldn't find myself focusing. I would read just to read, my father would sit me down on the table and have me read a book for at least an hour every other day and that made me hate reading even more. But I did find that my parents were the ones who encouraged me to learn Spanish and read the Spanish bible which helped me gain even more knowledge. Since I went to an English speaking school I had already gained some English terms to defend myself. 
I began to feel literate once I made a trip to Ecuador by myself at an early age I remember it was during summer vacation and that's where I felt how important it was to know things, in general, how to speak and capture someone's attention in their language. Coming back from that trip and starting up school again I was beginning to find what I like about what I didn't. I would be frustrated with my writing because it was difficult to find ways to write my feelings and that's a problem I have till this day, probably why I took the Business journey. I found I was big on math and stuck to it , but I also found that I liked listening to people and observing them for who they are and having views. My role model was and is my mom she taught me all I know till this day. 
As I evaluate myself now I see how I could use a little more of that reading strategy my father would have on me, reading a book for an hour and focusing. I feel being literate is so important nowadays people have opinions on those who are literate and someway somehow people will find ways to be literate. I am really big on traveling, learning about cultures, festivities, people, languages and it is what inspires my literacy development.  

Comments

  1. Kaly,
    Thank you for your thoughtful and descriptive literacy autobiography! I love your first memories of being so aware that there are different languages, and your early start with multiple languages acquisition--especially tied to those closest to you (Portuguese, Spanish and English)! Your reflections about how your father tried to support your reading development and the opposite effect that had on you at first is a thoughtful and truthful reflection. I especially liked your memories about traveling outside your home country to Ecuador at a young age, and the learning and awareness about language and literacy that you experienced as a result. Thank you for relating literacy to life today, and to your passion for traveling and cultures and people! I also love your pictures!
    Professor Knauer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kaly
    Yes i agree learning a language is very difficult and I can even imagine the difficulties you may have face with learn more than one but as you can see the tough times you went through at that moment were only temporary and only better you everyday.
    -Anica

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kaly,
    We share the same struggle in learning a second language but now you're a pro with speaking in Spanish. Sad to hear you hated reading, I always say to people there is a genre that could be to your liking.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kaly,
    I completely relate with your story because I made a trip to the Dominican Republic and it was hard for me to communicate with the family since they didn't understand English. I agree it is important to be able to effectively communicate.
    Thank You,

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kaly,

    I understand you challenges with language as a person who moved to America I understand the struggle of trying to keep a ground with both languages. When I go back home I start to feel disconnected with my family because I do not speak their first language anymore and instead I struggle to communicate with them.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts