After reading the first part of "School: The story of American Public Education" I found the book to be encouraging to the youth who do not how the education system got to where it is now. The book itself is informative and interesting, I could pick some important factors and quotes that made it interesting such as: "Many Native Americans were to special government schools, where there were forced to abandon tribal languages, customs,  and dress" (pg58) to me this meant considering everyone's backgrounds that only native Americans were the ones who were led to having a separate government school and having to leave behind their true selves to get an education. They basically have to forget their origins to integrate themselves to be literate. While the United States were having more and more people enrolling they have managed to make many Native Americans go to government schools. While reading this I felt a sort of segregation was entitled here. As we spoke in class about our notes on Part 1, my group and I came to a conclusion that Jefferson and Mann would contradict their beliefs. Equality was a big thing when reading this section of the book too,”The school is the little world in which the child is trained for the larger world of life, beginning there those relations of Equality which the constitution and the laws promise to all, ’Summer argued” (pg 44). When think of something that is equal we think of something that is being split in half and have the right portion of something as the other half did. On google the right definition is said to be “the state of being equal, especially in status, rights, and opportunities”. How I see this is having an education as equal as everyone else, and children viewing everyone from different places countries as the same status or being equal. 
Also, when I look at education and how my parents became literate I think of how they would be disciplined by the teachers. I remembered they would say that the teachers would treat the students completely different than they do to students now. In the book it states,”-the teacher was not only a disciplinarian but also offered, not exactly the comforts of home, but a lot of the similar ingredients that had gone on in homeschooling a century before that”(55). Disciplinarian is what my vision sees first when i read this sentence, according to google a disciplinarian is “a person who believes in or practices firm discipline” and I feel that a lot of teachers were so hung up on disciplining a students on their manners than teaching them what the curriculum would tell them to host as teachers. Overall, part 1 of the book left me intrigued to learn more about history in education. 
Related imageImage result for disciplining in school

Comments

  1. Really enjoyed reading your blog! When I first heard about the book we would have to read I did not think i would be interested but it actually makes me want to keep reading more and more. i also really liked that you used exact quotes because it brought me back to what I thought when i read that part.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Kaly,
    I enjoyed reading your blog and agree that education and discipline were different for our parents to how it is now. With my parents, in Haiti discipline was very strict and normal. Nowadays discipline is seen as cruel and non-beneficial to the student.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kaly, Thank you for your thoughtful blog about Part I. Your references and your commentary were great. I love the photo you used about discipline and teachers.
    Prof. K

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts